Saturday, April 11, 2015

Sprouts Coming to Downtown Lakewood


It looks like the rumor is true: A Sprouts Farmers Market is going in at the Fairfield Commons strip mall at 98 S. Wadsworth Blvd.

The 27,000 square foot grocer will join TJ Maxx, Planet Fitness, Starbucks and Chile's in the aging shopping center.

I'm super excited to have a Sprouts in the neighborhood, but I definitely have mixed feelings about the location.

In my view, Fairfield Commons is an eyesore, with a dated, cheap-looking facade and too many empty storefronts. Even the parking lot is cut up by oddly positioned berms, leftovers from previous parking configurations. It's a car-centric development, but it's difficult to get in and out of by automobile, especially with the constant traffic flow from the Starbucks' drive through.

Nevertheless, Sprouts' reputation for cheap produce will undoubtedly bring people in, myself included. I would just like to see a little bit higher quality construction materials and some bike racks. Is that too much to ask?


6 comments:

  1. I am super excited for the Sprouts! Maybe this will help to change the facade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is another apparent newcomer to Belmar - the space vacated by Lane Bryant, across from Wasabi - looks like it will be a restaurant of some kind. There is a notice saying the new tenant is Belmar Roadhouse LLC, which is registered to Dan Shipp - of the Roadhouse Hospitality Group (http://hodsonsbarandgrilldenver.com/roadhouse-hospitality-group-fact-sheet). They got 17 restaurants already in Colorado. Cuisine is most likely American, but all/most of their places are well regarded. Perhaps you have means/bandwidth to dig further?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Voland! I'll see what I can find out. I just heard from someone in the know that a restaurant was going in there. I was told fairly extensive work is planned to make the space restaurant ready, including installing scrubbers to make sure no one living above has issues with food odors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any idea on when Sprouts might be slated to open? I've been hoping for a Lakewood Sprouts for years! It will save me 40-50 minutes of driving time compared to the 38th & Sheridan (ish) location!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber-- Summer 2015 is all I've heard. It looks like demolition of the old space is nearly complete, so construction should start soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very excited for the new Sprouts - I live in the O'Kane Park neighborhood to the north and it should do great things for our area. I too thought that mall was an eyesore. I only ever went there for lenny's cheesesteaks but they closed a while ago.

    ReplyDelete