Friday, July 13, 2012

Walking to a Concert in Belmar Park

When I used to live in downtown Denver, one of the great things was being able to walk to concerts-- there was the Fillmore Auditorium, the Ogden, even the Pepsi Center, where I saw a particularly good performance by U2.

U2 won't be playing in Lakewood anytime soon, but I'm not nearly as interested in rock music as I used to be.

Walking to concerts is still a possibility, however, as it turns out there's a fantastic summer concert series in Belmar Park, put on each year by the city of Lakewood. The bands this year include bluegrass, alt-country, soul, and Celtic. I went to see the bluegrass band Harpeth Rising last week.

The outdoor amphitheater where they played is just a couple of blocks from downtown Belmar, on the west side of Wadsworth, so no driving was involved. My family and I packed a picnic dinner and a blanket, walked over, and found a spot on the grass. We listened to the music and watched the sun go down. It was a blast!


No comments:

Post a Comment